Your window screens are often underrated in terms of their importance, but when you stop to think about it, they are an integral part of your windows.
They allow you to naturally cool your home with fresh air while ensuring bugs and other pests don’t enter your home. Additionally, your screens add to your windows’ appearance. If you have stunning glass panes but have holes in your screens, that can impact the overall perception of your windows.
In our last blog, we took a look at some window cleaning tips.
In this blog, we’re going to take a look at some tips for window screen maintenance.
How long do window screens last?
The answer to that question relies on a number of factors. Firstly, where you live can impact your window screens’ longevity. As we know, snow, ice and cold temperatures in the winter can wreak havoc on your vehicle. The exterior of your home, including your windows, can be impacted by weather.
Additionally, it also depends on the make and quality of your windows. Cheaper windows may not last as long and may end up costing you more in the long run.
The Dos and Don’ts of Window Screen Maintenance
Window screens are generally quite sturdy, but you can damage them if you’re not careful.
- Remove any debris accumulated on your windows throughout the year. If you notice any dirt, take a moment to brush it off. This will save you hassle in the long run and it can also prevent any rust or mold.
- If you discover a hole in your screen, patch it up or replace the mesh screening. There are certain circumstances where it would benefit you to replace the entire screen, but it’s unnecessary if there is a small hole in the screen.
- Before cleaning them (especially if it’s been awhile since your screen has been given a good cleaning), check to see what material they are made of for the best means of cleaning them properly.
- Never use a pressure washer to clean your screens, as it can cause serious damage or break the screen entirely.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals to clean your screen. If you have a lot of dust and debris built up, it may be tempting, but it’s not necessary. Using soap, vinegar and water are gentle enough to clean the screens without causing damage.
Sometimes, it’s more than your screens that require TLC
In the past, we’ve talked about signs that your windows need to be replaced. Many of the same signs, like having difficulties opening your window, hearing more noise and visible damage are similar to when you need to replace your window screens.
If you’re looking for quality, beautiful windows, call Kempenfelt Windows and Doors. We’ve been chosen as Barrie and Newmarket’s favourite windows and doors company for years! We’re experienced and we can answer all your questions about windows. If you have questions, feel free to reach out online.