Having crystal clear windows can be one of the most satisfying feelings, especially in seasons where the colours outside are at their brightest and most exotic. Clean windows beat water streaks, water spots and dirt and grime any day of the week. With a little bit of elbow grease, and some tips from the experts at Kempenfelt Windows & Doors, your windows can be the cleanest and shiniest on the block!
There are a good number of tips to help achieve the cleanest and clearest windows;
- Start with clearing the dirt, grime and cobwebs around your windows. Getting debris onto the cloth or towel you are using to clean your windows will work against you, causing dirt to be streaked across the glass. Clearing your work-space before starting is always good practice.
- Use two different cloths / scrubbers / towels. Designate one for outdoor use, and the other for indoor use. The idea is to keep outside debris outside of the house.
- Not too little, but not too much soap. Making a heavy cleaning solution can leave residue on your windows after wiping them clean, which can reduce clarity. Whether you are using vinegar, dish soap or window cleaner, remember that a little can go a long way.
- Keep a microfiber cloth on hand for drying. Removing those last streaks with a soft and clean microfiber cloth by using a small circular motion can clean your windows while maintaining the shine.
- Wait for a cloudy day. While bright sunny days might be tempting for outdoor window cleaning, the reality is that the sun often works against you by prematurely drying windows. This in turn leaves streaks that are dried onto the window. Wait until the sun is covered before cleaning your windows for the best results.
Following these tips can help you achieve crystal clear windows. But in some cases people find that, even after thorough cleaning, their windows can still appear foggy and unclear. This could be indicative of other problems with the windows themselves including seal failure (where condensation tends to form between glass panes inside of the window.)
If your windows still seem unclear or foggy after following our cleaning tips, it may be a good idea to contact Kempenfelt Windows and Doors for an expert opinion on what might be going on. Our window team works year-round and is ready to help with any questions or concerns you may have about your windows. Speak with us today to learn more.