You’ve invested in brand new vinyl windows and a quality sliding door, so, of course, you want to keep them looking in tip-top condition; clean and in perfect condition! While the glass is an obvious portion that requires regular cleaning, it’s important that you don’t forget about cleaning and maintaining the tracks of your sliding door as well! This helps to keep your door operating smoothly.
What’s Involved in Cleaning the Tracks?
- With a vacuum hose attachment (crevice tool attachment works best), vacuum up any debris, loose dirt or dust that’s present in the track.
- Have a bucket in arms’ reach that contains a combination of water and a mild cleaning solution so that you can dampen your cleaning rag and remove the grime from the tracks as you work away. Get your cleaning cloth nice and wet in the soapy solution and wipe down the track as much as required.
- If you seem to have a build-up of dirt and grime, you may want to use a cleaning brush to really scrub at the build-up with the cleaning solution. A toothbrush can usually get the job done! After you’ve fully scrubbed the track, simply wipe clean with the damp cloth. If for some reason you still have a build-up of dirt or grime that seems impossible to clean up, you can use a putty knife to scrape away at the grime. Of course being extremely careful not to damage the track or the door panel. Again, follow up by cleaning down the surface with a clean cloth.
- To prevent any type of build-up in the future, it’s highly recommended that you regularly sweep or vacuum the area just outside your sliding door to help prevent the amount of dirt that eventually enters the tracks.
How Can You Keep Your Door Sliding Smoothly?
- Spray a Teflon-based lubricant or something similar on a soft, dry cloth and wipe it onto the track. The lubricant will not damage any wood surfaces or the weather strip.
- To clean the outside of a vinyl frame, a mild dishwashing liquid will suffice. Add a couple of squirts of detergent to 4 litres (4 quarts) of hot or warm water and apply the soapy mix with a soft sponge or cloth. Rinse with water for a clean finish.
- Always clean the frame prior to washing the glass so your clean windows don’t get wet and smeary all over again. It’s best to start at the top of the frame and work your way down.
- To clean the inside of a vinyl frame, wipe with a damp cloth at the time that you clean the window. Remember not to use abrasive cleaners as these abrasive pads or sandpaper will only cause additional marks even while you may think you’re shining the vinyl frame.
Cleaning your sliding door tracks is not something you need to add to your weekly cleaning list by any stretch, however, like anything the more you clean them, you’ll find that they’ll become a lot easier to maintain with time.